Sentinels Athletics is pleased to announce that all of our high school girls sports teams have been invited to join the Girls Independent League (GIL), which is a conference within the New England Preparatory Athletic Counsel (NEPSAC).
This great opportunity will guarantee all our current and future girls sports teams a full schedule which can lead to tournament play.
Show your school spirit and help us to spread the word! Get your BCA bumper sticker (it’s removable!) and stick it on your car!
Stickers are $2 each and available in the main office at both the Lower School and the High School.
With the success and growth of the girls’ basketball program, Sentinels Athletics is pleased to announce some new coaching positions here at Bradford Christian Academy.
Over the past several years, Coach Bruce Overhiser built an amazing program, bringing the Varsity girls to the 2014 League Championship. Coach Overhiser is particularly talented at building Christian community and individual technical basketball skills for emerging players. Because of Bruce’s hard work and dedication to our program we are now growing our teams to offer girls’ junior varsity for the first time. With this expansion of our program, Coach Overhiser will take on the challenging new role as the Head Coach of the JV Girls’ Basketball Team and continue his involvement with Varsity as the Assistant Varsity Girls’ Basketball Coach. Coach Overhiser’s experience with building an amazing team from scratch will profit the JV program, as well as assist the overall growth of the girls’ basketball program here at BCA.
Bradford Sentinels Athletics is also pleased to announce the hiring of Kerry Chomic as our new Varsity Girls’ Basketball Coach. Coach Chomic will be responsible for the oversight of the entire girls’ basketball program, developmental through varsity as is the structure for all of our varsity coaches. Coach Chomic comes to Bradford Christian Academy after spending the last six years as the Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach at Gordon College. Coach Chomic’s duties involved team coaching, individual player development, scouting, and recruiting, skills she will also bring to our Sentinels Athletics. She was also responsible for working with the head coaches of other sports to develop strength and conditioning programs for all of Gordon College Athletics. In the off season she worked with the Gordon College Athletics program as the director of athletic camps. Prior to Gordon College, Coach Chomic spent a year as the Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach at Cornerstone University, where she was also a player. She is currently completing a Masters of Arts in New Testament at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
We look forward to another great year of Sentinels basketball under the leadership of Coach Chomic and Coach Overhiser.
Bradford Christian Academy is proud to present its second-annual Lower School production: The Adventures of Rose Red. The production will be directed by seniors Alex Gilford and Vincent Cantone, and produced by Matt Perusse, Director of Performing Arts.
Performances will be held on November 6th and 7th at 7:00 pm at the Ward Hill Church, 63 L Street, Haverhill.
We are eager to once again showcase the talent of our Lower School students, and look forward to another entertaining production!
Beginning on November 5th, students in 5th, 6th, & 7th grades will begin a seven week swim instruction unit designed for all levels of swimmers.
Swim instruction will take place at the Cedarland Aquatic Center, which is located across and down the street from Cedardale’s main entrance. Parents are asked to pick up your student at the Cedarland Aquatic Center Parking Lot at 2:45 pm.
Students are asked to wear a modest swimsuit and, if desired, a tee shirt or swimming shirt for additional modesty. Girls please wear a one piece or a tankini that covers the midriff. Don’t forget your towel and flip flops, too!
Beginning on November 14th, students in grade 8 will have PE with Mr. McGrath at First Church of Christ located at 10 Church Street, Bradford. Parents are asked to pick up your student at First Church of Christ at 2:45 pm.
Elementary PE classes will move indoors beginning in early December. More details to follow soon.
The BCA 8th grade is going to Washington, DC this year!
The trip is scheduled for June 1-4, 2015, and Mr. McGrath, Mr. Burgess, and Mrs. Smith are organizing the trip in coordination with American Christian Tours (acts-tours.com). It will be exciting to experience our nation’s capital together as an 8th grade class!
To participate in this trip, there will be a mandatory meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 5th at 3:00 pm in the Lower School cafeteria. We will provide many details of the trip at that meeting, including trip cost and fundraising. The initial deposit for the trip will be Dec. 1st.
We look forward to seeing you on Nov. 5th!
The College Corner is your go-to place to keep you on schedule with all of your college admissions preparations! Please check back often to learn about upcoming college fairs and scholarship information, as well as monitoring your own “to do” list! Mrs. Stevens (who serves as your guidance counselor) and Mrs. Sweeney (who serves as your college advisor) are always here to help you along this journey!
UPCOMING SAT TESTING:
The next SAT testing will be held on Saturday, November 8th. The registration deadline for this test has passed. The late registration deadline is Tuesday, October 28th. BCA will not be administering this test.
The SAT testing for December will be held on Saturday, December 6th. The registration deadline for this is Thursday, November 6th. The late registration deadline is Monday, November 24th. BCA will be administering this test.
For a full list of 2014-15 SAT testing dates, please visit www.collegeboard.org.
COLLEGE FAIR INFORMATION:
Bradford’s first College Mini-Fair in 2014 was a huge success! To see more details about this amazing event, please click here!
Senior To-Do List
(Adapted from College Board®)
- Finish your application essays. Proofread them rigorously for mistakes.
- Apply to colleges with rolling admission (first-come, first-served) as early as possible. Keep hard copies of all applications.
- Make sure that your test scores will be sent by the College Board to each of the colleges to which you are applying. Scores are not sent unless you tell the College Board what to send and to whom you want them sent. When registering to take the tests you had the opportunity to have 4 sets of your scores sent to colleges of your choice free of charge. If you did not have scores sent you must do so now. There is a fee for this. Go to www.collegeboard.org to get scores sent.
- Give Mrs. Gilford a completed BCA College Info Request Form to get your high school transcripts sent to each of the colleges to which you are applying. Allow at least 3 weeks prior to all deadlines. This form is available in the office and with Mrs. Sweeney.
- Just about every college requires the FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid to determine your eligibility for financial aid. Get PINs for the FAFSA for both you and one of your parents at www.pin.ed.gov. Doing this will allow the form to be signed electronically. You can’t submit the FAFSA before Jan. 1, 2014; however, it must still meet the college deadlines which are usually sometime in February or March. Some colleges require additional financial aid forms such as the CSS Profile. Be aware that each college is different and that you must meet all requirements and deadlines.
Junior To-Do List
- You can expect your PSAT/NMSQT scores in December. Don’t worry if these scores are not as high as you had hoped. Remember, this was a practice test. Use the results to help you to plan a strategy for improvement. You have plenty of time to prepare for the SAT and get good scores. Most students who take the time to prepare for the SAT improve by up to 100 points each time they retake it.
- Meanwhile continue preparing for the SAT at home in addition to in SAT Prep class.
- Attend a College Open House. Many colleges host an open house throughout the year. Check the websites of schools that interest you and go for a visit. These visits usually include a walking tour of the campus led by a college student. It is an informal and fun way to get a sense of whether a school suits your needs.
- Begin looking through the College Board’s College Handbook (available in the college resource room outside Mrs. Sweeney’s classroom) and start a preliminary list of colleges that you might apply to.
- Start to learn about financial aid. Attend a financial aid seminar in your area, and use the Financial Aid Easy Planner and Net Price Calculator at www.collegeboard.org.
- Begin to research scholarships. Use Scholarship Search on www.collegeboard.org or one of the scholarship handbooks (available in the college resource room outside Mrs. Sweeney’s classroom) to find out about deadlines and eligibility requirements.
- If you are planning a major in the fine arts (drama, music, fine arts), ask your teachers about requirements for a portfolio or audition.
Do you love to ski or snowboard? Would you like to hit the mountain with your friends from BCA?
Bradford parent Jason Sabatino is organizing a BCA Ski & Snowboard club for students in grades 3-12. The BCA Ski & Snowboard Club would meet at the Bradford Ski Area for 6 weeks on Tuesday evenings from 3:30-6:00 pm beginning on January 6, 2015.
The fees for the 6 week program are as follows:
Lift only package $130
Lift & lesson package $190
Rentals for the 6 days would be $105 for skis or snowboard and $30 for a helmet rental.
In addition, Ski Haus in Salem, NH is offering a season long junior lease for $99 (Students up to 110 pounds and size 9 foot or smaller).
The program requires a minimum of 10 students or it will not be offered. If you are interested in this program, please contact Jason Sabatino at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st.
The Outdoors Club is off on another adventure!
The next activity will be a NH hiking trip on Saturday, November 8th. For specific information about this trip, please click here. Students must turn in all of the forms below and payment by Tuesday, Nov. 4th in order to participate in this activity. Please see Miss Moreau for details about this trip and the Outdoors Club.
Interested students must complete the following forms and pay a $75 deposit.
Please join us for our Beyond the Books Tour!
Our Beyond the Books events are designed to give parents, community members, and prospective new families insight into our mission and hear from real Bradford students who are the future leaders of our community. We encourage all parents to attend a tour and think about bringing someone you know who may benefit from hearing about the life-shaping work that happens here everyday.
Our next scheduled tour on Wednesday, November 5th at 8:30 am on our Lower School campus at 97 Oxford Avenue. We hope to see you at a tour soon!
Just a reminder that the first quarter will end on Tuesday, October 28th. Report cards will be posted on Veracross for middle and high school students on Tuesday, November 4th.
On November 4th, you will be able to view and print a copy of your student’s report card. To do this, please log on to the Veracross site, and next to your student’s name, select “Report Cards, Quarter 1.”
Please note that the Elementary trimester ends on Monday, November 4th.
The Parent Connection–the PTO group of BCA–is inviting parents to join them for coffee at Mann Orchards in Methuen on Friday, October 24th from 8:30 – 9:30 am. This informal gathering is a great opportunity to connect with other parents and hear about the latest activities of the Parent Connection. There are always great ways to participate and become more involved in the school!
We hope to see you at this event!
Tis the season (almost!)…
Basketball and Cheerleading signups are now open on the website. Go to the Become a Sentinel page on the website and signup now for the 2014-2015 basketball season.
You must complete both the BCA Athletics Sport Sign-Up Form and the Athletics Waiver and Fee Form. Forms and sports fees are due before the season begins.
On Friday, October 10th from 5:00 – 8:00 pm at Bradford Elementary, the Sentinels cheerleaders are hosting a Harvest Family Game Night!
This is a school-wide event, and all are encouraged to attend! Students in grades 1-6 must have a parent accompany them to the event.
Several fun activities are planned:
- Flag football and basketball games
- Card games and dice games
- Mario Cart Wii and Just Dance
- Pumpkin carving, bobbing for apples, face painting
- Pie-eating and donut-eating contests
- Food, drinks, and so much more!
Permission slips for this event are due by Thursday, October 9th. Please click here to download a permission slip. Admission is $2 to enter the event, and each game is $1 to play.
Hope to see you there!
On Wednesday, October 1st, please come and support our school at Uno Restaurant, 30 Cushing Avenue, off Rte 125 (located on the Haverhill/Plaistow border). Uno will donate 20% of your check to Bradford on dine-in or take-out lunch, dinner, and snacks!
Tickets are available by clicking here, or in the school offices. Please present your ticket to your waitstaff.
Please tell your friends and family, and we’re looking forward to seeing you at Unos!